Pilgrims were always welcome at the Notre Dame de Leffe abbey, and in 1240 the canons decided to build
a brewery for the preparation of a healthy, invigorating beverage. After the French Revolution the abbey
was re-established in 1929. The abbey church was reconstructed on the old farm grounds, as the beautiful
18th-century church had been destroyed. In 1952, Abbbot Nys and Albert Lootvoet decided to once again take
up the brewing tradition of Leffe with its well-guarded recipe and offer a range of delicious Leffe beers.
Today, the Leffe brands are a commitment to honour the traditions which can be traced back to 1240.